The Only Private Institution in Georgia Competing in Division I Athletics
At Mercer, our Bears are true student-athletes. Not only do they compete, they compete well — both on the fields and courts and in the classroom.
Recent notable achievements include:
- Mercer swept the 2017-18 Southern Conference Male and Female Athlete of the Year awards as men’s soccer senior Will Bagrou and women’s basketball senior Kahlia Lawrence swept the annual honors. It was just the second time in league history, and the first time since 1990-91, that both honors went to the same school. These student-athletes were drafted in the Major League Soccer Draft and WNBA Draft following the conclusions of their respective seasons.
- Mercer won Southern Conference Tournament titles in men’s soccer (second straight year), women’s basketball and women’s lacrosse, while earning automatic bids to the respective sports’ NCAA Tournaments.
- Mercer women’s basketball senior Kahlia Lawrence became the first-ever three-time SoCon women’s basketball Player of the Year. She also earned Georgia Women’s Player of the Year honors for the second straight season.
- Senior Alex Williams became Mercer’s first Southern Conference Track and Field champion, winning the triple jump at the 2018 SoCon Championships. Williams joined Mercer’s track and field team mid-spring after concluding her fourth season with the Mercer women’s basketball team.
- Mercer men’s tennis senior Sam Philp became the program’s first-ever nationally ranked player, joining the ITA national rankings and maintaining his spot in the rankings for six straight weeks.
- Mercer continued to gain notoriety as its football team played games at eventual national champion Alabama and nationally ranked Auburn in fall 2017. Mercer’s football team also added wins over nationally ranked FCS teams The Citadel and Western Carolina.
- Mercer softball defeated No. 5 nationally ranked Georgia, 5-2, in eight innings on April 14, 2018. The team has knocked off a nationally ranked opponent for three straight seasons.
Mercer student-athletes also achieve great success in the classroom.
- Mercer won its third straight Barrett-Bonner Award, given to the Southern Conference institution that places the highest percentage of its student-athletes on the league’s academic honor roll. Mercer is one of just two Southern Conference schools to win the Barrett-Bonner Award multiple times, joining former league member Davidson.
- Meghan Rud was awarded a Southern Conference postgraduate scholarship, the 2018 Bob McCloskey Insurance Graduate Scholarship. She joined former teammate Taylor Rodgers, who earned a SoCon postgraduate scholarship the year prior (2017).
- Seventeen of 18 Mercer athletics programs finished the 2017-18 academic year with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
To learn more about Mercer Athletics, visit mercerbears.com.